A few days ago I went in for my weekly OB appointment. Stats were as follows: cervix at 1.5, uterus size measuring as if I was 39 weeks with a single baby, and I had an FFN Test done which basically tests for a protein that indicates I may be likely to go into labor within the next 2 weeks. I have had these tests done every 2 weeks for a couple of months and they have always returned negative. This time, however, I got a call a few hours after my doctors appointment letting me know that the test had returned positive. The nursing staff instructed me to go down to Labor & Delivery to be monitered and given Corticosteroid shots to speed development of the babies lungs "just in case." I went to L&D right away and was put on a contraction monitor, and both babies were monitered as well. The girls were doing excellant even though I was having regular contractions every 15-20 minutes or so (which has been, by the way, completely normal for me since about week 19). My cervix was checked again and I was still at a 1.5, which thankfully meant I was not changing. I was then monitered a bit more and given the steroid shot in my behind (ouch). Dr. Lunt, my OB, came in and checked contractions again, cervix (yet again) which was still 1.5, told me NO MORE WORK, and gave me a prescription for Nifedipine, which is supposed to calm the contractions down. He said that if the babies were born now they would be fine, but it would be better if they made it to at least 34 weeks so their lungs could develop a little more. And then I went home!
The strange part is that I feel just fine. I feel today like I did last week or even last month! The contractions aren't painful, just tight and uncomfortable. Nevertheless, I'm at home now trying to rest and take it easy to keep 'em in there, all while trying to get last minute things prepared for the babies (um, like their whole nursery :) Aaaaand here I am, even bigger, at 32 weeks!
In early January we decided to leave the Christmas tree up and decorate it as a "Welcome Baby Girls!" tree with after-Christmas-clearance pink and purple ornaments and pink lights. Frivolous but fun! I've really been enjoying laying back in the recliner with my feet up while staring into pinkness and thinking about holding my two little baby girls soon!
Last weekend came the SUPRISE BABY SHOWER! Saturday morning me and Kyle went out recliner-shopping and when we came back, the neighborhood was littered with pink and white balloons and signs all over! My co-worker and good friend Rachel (also a momma of twin girls) had organized a GORGEOUS co-worker baby shower for me!
I wish I had gotten more pictures of everyone that was there and all of the spectacular decorating and yummy FOOD trays and chocolate fountain with fruits! Shanalee brought her adorable 6 month old boy-girl twins, Monet and Marley and Rachel's cute girls, Adelyn and Chloe helped complete the "twin" theme. So fun!
Cute baby outfits but WHAT the heck do I need pregnancy tests for?! Rachel had to explain its for the "after the babies are born" scares that you get for the first little while when you feel an abdominal muscle twitch here or there. Toootally understandable explanation!
Ora made these amazingly detailed twin-girls-in-a-peapod cupcakes for the shower! She is so talented when it comes to cake making and decorating. The crazy thing is that most cakes that look so awesome are just that... "just for looks". Her stuff also TASTES amazing!
Pretty great, eh? Thanks Ora!
We had a blast and I got a lot of good stuff! Can't wait to be able to use it soon.

Thanks everyone that helped Rachel out or that surprised me by being there! You guys are great! See ya back at work when I'm a momma! ;)
5 comments:
Oh Misty, I am so excited. I live right next door practically. Let me come and help you. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
:) You are adorable. I hope that your babies' lungs grow as much as they can! Wishing you restful weeks ahead. Take advantage, I hear the young ones kinda keep you up when they finally get here!
I'm glad that you loved the cupcakes! It was so fun to do something for you that we knew you would love! We are so excited to see those two - going to be insanely gorgeous - girls! Congrats and good luck!
I'm so happy for you Misty Lou!! I miss seeing you at work. I'm sorry that I missed your baby shower, but I have a gifts for you and want to come and see you maybe this week! I will call you on Tuesday and see what you are up to!!
Good luck Misty and Kyle! I am so glad you are doing well and in the home stretch. So excited to see your beautiful girls!
Post a Comment