A couple of years ago while we were out "Eastering" on Utah Hill, riding four-wheelers around in the toolies, we noticed what looked like an old abandoned mine high up on a hillside. All we could see at first was a small opening in the rocks, but then we noticed that there was a lot of yellow and red dirt coming out of an otherwise-gray mountain. We really wanted to hike up to it and check it out, but it was a looong way up the mountain and we didn't have time, so we decided we'd go back another day and check it out. Yesterday was a perfect 70-degree day, and since we were itching to get outside, we finally decided to make the trek up to see what was inside. I wasn't hopeful that we'd find much; most of the mines we've tried to enter in the past have been blocked off or dead end a short distance inside. Once we entered this one though, we found something much different than I was expecting....
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Mine Exploring Mayhem
We headed up the old road for a little ways and then ditched it to go up and over some hills
Trent and DJ headed uphill with flashlights in hand. The yellow-colored tailings from the mine are just visible on the hillside above Trent's head.
A tiny Kyle barely visible just below the mine entrance.
Kyle on the mine shelf (notice I'm still climbing)
Finally I reach the top!
Looking down from the mine shelf into the burned out forest from a fire a couple of years ago.
Checking out some strange rocks. What were they mining?
Looking westward into Arizona. Me and Trenshmouth.
I'm trying to figure out what a redbud tree is doing clear out here in the desert, and why it wasn't killed in the fire like everything else. Trenton is trying to figure out why I care.
I was wondering if this was going to be our last picture together...
And here's the entrance. The small, dark entrance.
Lets do this thing!
Just after entering we followed a dark narrow shaft for awhile...
Until we reached a fork in the shaft. We could either go right and follow a mine cart track, or go left where there was none.
We chose the right fork and followed a neat old mine cart track, but came back later and explored the left shaft too.
In places the mountain was pretty much being held off of our heads with a few precariously placed rotting boards. Nice.
Another rock barricade I walked by very quietly, hoping I wouldn't wake the sleeping mountain.
An old chute from a shaft somewhere above us.
Kyle looking up another upward-leading shaft. There were lots of places we didn't go.
Trent getting ready to crawl up another tiny opening.
A downward leading shaft, basically a big hole with no way to climb down.
I started noticing yellow particles in the air as we kicked up dust, and it made me nervous, not knowing what we were breathing.
An old creepy-looking ladder. Like the one from "The Ring."
This is the stuff that was being mined. After hours of internet research, I still have no idea what it is.
Baby Stalactites
A cute little bat I very much hoped I wouldn't wake up.
After awhile we reached this big room, and I decided I was going no further into the mountain. I headed back to the entrance while the boys explored.
Following the mine cart track back.
Hooray! We made it out alive.
A few pictures of rocks/ores I want to identify. I think this one is Calcite.
No idea.
No idea.
Calcite again maybe?
A super-neat rock with very cool fracture lines that I took lots of pictures of.
I did several hours of research online trying to find out what was mined from the site but never could determine what the stuff was for sure. Iron, uranium ore, and realgar were some possibilities but I'm going to take my photos to the geology professor next time I have class and see what he thinks it was. I also couldn't find record of the mine; several were listed out on Jarvis Peak but none in that location. We have fun being "explorers"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Misty those pictures are so cool! I can't wait to find out what all that yellow stuff was.
Post a Comment