Friday, January 30, 2009

HSG...short for...unpronounceable

I've had it scheduled and rescheduled several times since last October but finally worked up the courage to have the dreaded HSG or Hysterosalpingogram (yeah I pasted that word) test done this week. I was really worried about it because of the stories I've heard from my Mom and other peole I know about it being really painful. An HSG is for infertility and is basically a"dye" test where the doctors inject a solution into the fallopian tubes and uterus, and then observe by x-ray screen where it flows to determine if "the way is clear." I did plenty of internet research and found lots of stories of women accounting the terrible pain it caused them. Most reported moderate pain. My doctor also told me it might be painful and he instructed me to take 600 mg of Ibuprofen an hour before going in for the test, which I gladly did. Once at the hospital and on the table, the technician also warned me it might be painful, but that it depended on a lot of things. He told me that once they injected the dye, they would be able to tell right away by looking at the x-ray screen, whether the ways were open or not. After he started, the whole test took about 10 minutes - it was more prep than process - and I had two pieces of good news! The first was that the test was NOT as painful as I had been worried about. The worst part was something equal to bad period cramps. The technician and nurse did say I was tough though, that the girl that had taken the test just before me had bawled the whole time. The second piece of good news was that the way is open and clear! The tech told me that the month AFTER the HSG test is a very good time to try and get pregnant because the dye kind of "pushes" things aside even more. He said that a lot of women get pregnant that month. (My Mom got pregnant with triplets the month after her HSG test. Yikes! Don't want that much of a result!) So now I guess my next task is going to be to try and find a way to prevent Kyle from switching to an opposite shift than me next week. Any ideas? ;)

3 comments:

Ora said...

Crossing my fingers for you girlie! Glad that the test went well and you "tolerated" it favorably. I've noticed that when they warn me something will hurt, it generally doesn't hurt as bad as I anticipate.

My advise... Try to not think about it too much. Being relaxed seems to help you get pregnant easier...

APRIL EVANS said...

Yea!! I hope everything works out, and look at it this way, if you do end up with Tripletts, you will have Rachel beat, and plenty of people willing to help. I am so excited for you. You will make such a good mommy.

Bethany said...

Wishing and hoping and praying for you Misty! That test does not sound fun at all, but hopefully it "opens the way" as you say. Congrats on the good news and I will try not to be on the edge of my seat for more good news soon!
PS: I like the stay relaxed advice, it does work best.